What is Fog Seal?
A Fog Seal is an inexpensive and effective pavement preservation technique when used in conjunction with a Chip Seal. Fog Sealing is done by spraying a light uniform application of asphalt emulsion on a newly Chip Sealed surface. The asphalt emulsions used have a lower viscosity which allows for better penetration into the voids of the surface. Application rates can vary depending upon the surface however, they are generally close to .10 gallons per square yard diluted.
What are the Benefits of
Fog Sealing a Chip Seal?
Studies have shown that a Fog Seal over a Chip Seal provides many benefits. When properly applied, a Fog Seal is proven to offer all of the following advantages;
- Provides lasting protection
- Reduced claims from loose chips
- Increased embedment of cover material
- Accelerated curing of completed project
- Decreased snowplow damage
- Locks down marginally embedded chips
- Reduced raveling
- Prolongs the service life
- Quicker snow and ice melt
- Improved pavement marking visibility
- Appearance preferred by traveling public
Contact your Meigs representative to find out more information.
Return to top.